Monday, May 25, 2009

Museum Vist! :)

Saturday, May 23rd- I went to the Cantor Arts Center at Standford. (it's FREE) & i must say, it was a wonderful experience...I highly recommend it :)
2nd time I've been there (1st in January) but it's not all the same art pieces, they revamp it!
went pretty crazy w/ the camera so it's a pretty long photographic entry. Hope you like it =]
door entrance
Greek Ionic order column! Doric order columns are the ones we see at the Washington D.C. White House. Classic , clean, & streamlined yes, but quite boring. My favorite would have to be Corithian...it's the most intricate & dramatic.

Venus statue...about life size, not too big nor too small.
Contrast to most Renaissance paintings, Greek statues usually portrayed males in the nude while the female are clothed. reminds me of comics I used to read- Blondie

Japanese print! Ironic that the blonde guy is dressed in a Japanese kimono while the guy w/ black hair is dressed in a western business suit attire. S2 cherry blossoms


Rodin statue I found in a Rodin book @ the bookstore
not viewable in this museum (i believe it's in Paris, Musee d' Orsay?) but I found this to be so beautiful & romantic. He's kissing her tummy :) This reminds me of both The Hand from Adams Family & a scene from Harry Potter when he enters a magic store & ends up wrestling to get his own hand out of the hand-statue's like gripsuch a great black & whtie photograph backdrop for Rodin's miniature black statues African art!
there were a lot of masks. Some might view these pieces as Barbaric, others view them as art. Reminds me a bit of Cultural Anthropology class
I S2 this piece! It has such history & life to it. A bit like a scrapbook/journal with a story to it reminiscening through the past generations. The artist could possibly be inspired by his/her own family heritage. Reminds me of history documentaries.

I thought the black room (4got what it was called) was beautiful & striking. The black butterflies above added an ethereal feel to the very glam/posh all around seating. This would be a great for a funeral or gothic wedding. Or change the colors (pink/orange monarchs/vivid blue butterflies, white seating) & it would be gorgeous for a wedding! or any kind of fete. (party in french) the golden frame is a great contrast to the baby blues & black of the art piece. the warm/cool tones have a good balance


There was a Passage about the Gates of Paradise in our txtbk (golden doors w/ black framing) but Rodin is more famous for the Gates of Hell. There is a black version right outside the museum framed by Adam & Eve statues. Below is a photograph of a white version (I know! looks real & 3D but it's really a flat surface) which I thinnkk is in Paris.






I found this to be uber interesting. It relates to our class. The artists would take a new twist on classic Greek mythology pieces just by naming their own piece after the same name. But the actual subject matter could be interpreted soo differntly (espescially if given a differnt title)

Picasso! S2 his brushstrokes & this piece. It's a dreamy, thoughtful piece where you escape reality into this frenetic, surreal, light-spirited world.


I S2ed these drawing pieces! (3 total) I think the artist was highly influenced by the use of photography. All the lighting & reflections. You can kind of tell we are in the cafe (if that's the location) for the words are read backwards. We are on the inside looking out through the glass windows. It has a symmetry to it & is kind of surreal. It has a glamourous 1930's? vibe kind of like the board game Clue. There's a fashionalble Coco Chanel touch & a dark, mysterious aura that emnates from the drawing.
& finally the Gates of Hell.
It was a great semester guys! hope you enjoyed this blog & art history class, I defintely did. :)
Learned a lot & hope to continue learning more. Now when there's an art reference to a piece from our txtbk, i'll know a lil something something about it :) pretttyy awesomee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Diana,

    Thanks for sharing on my blog this week! I have really enjoyed being in this class and learning from everyone in the class! Looks like you really enjoyed the Cantor! I did my paper on Rodin and Michelangelo. I also took tons of pictures there- of every Rodin sculpture! Have a great summer!

    Kimberlie

    ReplyDelete